– The central nervous system consists of the brain and spinal cord, including cranial and central nerves
– The brain is the center of the nervous system, like the microprocessor in a computer. The spinal cord and nerves are the connections, like the gates and wires in the computer. Nerves carry electrochemical signals to and from different areas of the nervous system as well as between the nervous system and other tissues and organs
– There are 45 miles of nerves in your skin alone! Throughout your body there are literally thousands of nerves which control every bodily function!
– The brain sends nerve impulses or messages down the spinal cord to the body at 270 miles per hour? That’s the speed of life…
– Only 10% of your nervous system is programmed to perceive pain. 90% is for function.
– The adult head weighs between 8 and 10 pounds…the same weight as a bowling ball. Thanks to the natural curve of your neck it can support this amount of weight easily. Loose the curve in your neck and the muscles and ligaments have to work 50 times harder to support your heavy head!